The purpose of the Institute is to sharpen the multi faceted personality of the students through inculcation of the wisdom of Buddhist Philosophy, literature and arts. This is an unique Institution in the country because of its provision to learn all aspects of Buddhism, Himalayan arts and culture along with its allied modern subjects. To achieve its mission, the institute aims:
- A deep study of Buddhist philosophy and Buddhist logic along with its history, culture and arts.
- The study of canonical literature along with ancient classical languages like, Sanskrit, Pali and Bhoti and modern languages like Hindi and English.
- The study of modern subjects such as Indian history, Bauddha Puranic history, comparative philosophy, political science, economics, mathematics, and general science.
- Translation of Buddhist scripture from Tibetan to Sanskrit, Hindi and English.
- The collection, conservation and preservation of rare manuscripts.
- Research on Buddhist philosophy, history, art, and Himalayan culture.
- The collection and conservation of objects-de-art of archaeological significance of the region.
- Study of Sowa Rigpa (Bhot Medical Science), sculpture, Thanka painting, traditional wood block carving and architecture of the Himalayan heritage.